Saturday, October 20, 2012

Curtain, Curtain! Who Has the Curtain!?

As a home-owner, I have had the joy of being able to be creative in my architecture, my landscape (still working on that one - haha), my paint choices
and my window coverings. 
I searched for curtain options that:
1) Don't block too much light
2) Allow for privacy
3) Are CHEAP
4) Weren't too flowery
5) Didn't have patterns that clashed with our living room style

I don't really care for the partial window coverings because we live on a main road, so if we have only a partial curtain, in the evening, our every move can be seen by strangers.
We had blinds, wooden blinds when we moved into the house. They stayed for a while, but they just were to "hard" in a house with laminate (wood look) flooring. The house always seemed cold and had a cold feel to it, like we were living in an office or something.
Wanting to make our house more like a home, I began looking for the perfect curtains.
After spending many hours in several stores, I just couldn't find anything that fit the bill. Sure, there were a few that were near perfect, but were way out of the budget.

When my boys ruined their blinds, I quickly covered them by pinning sheets up over the windows.

That is when it hit me. Well. As I was falling asleep that night problem solving (because we all know that is the ONLY time moms get to think) over their window covering.

Sheets.

All the sheets I have ever known about are ingeniously constructed with a "pocket" or large hem at the top of the sheet.
I figured to cut a corner off, to open the seam to allow for the curtain rod to go through.

Square cut out of corner. Just enough to take out the seam. You could use a seam-ripper and remove the stitches in that area, then put the curtain rod through. I suppose I am just a little less patient.
I do NOT use two sheets for one window, nor do I split the sheets in half.
I measure the width of the window and select a sheet that is the next size up in width. So if my window is 56" wide, I would select a Twin size flat sheet, which is typically 66". If my window was 66" wide, I would go to the next size up which is a Full at 81" wide. You can make it more "voluptuous" if you desire by going up even one more width size.

Figure out where you want to place your curtain rods. I prefer mine near the ceiling, as it supposedly (and so far I agree) adds height to a room. Our ceilings are the low standard and windows are north-facing. Because of these, our living room feels and seems small. Ok, maybe it is, but still. So I add the height by putting the curtain rods near the ceiling. So far I like the move up.
I sweep my curtains to the sides and put them on the hooks. These hooks are marketed for hanging swag curtains or draping fabric, but I use them for tie-backs.

Now, you can decide how long you want the curtains to be.
 In my living room, since I have them near the ceiling, I didn't worry about cutting any off the bottom. When I had them hung just over the window a couple years ago I hung them, then cut them just slightly longer than the length I wanted them to be. I used my serger and cleaned up the end. It was really hectic at that time, so I didn't bother sewing a hem.
I know, I am horribly simple/lazy.

These look awfully wrinkled, but I know you will do much better than I do and will iron the curtains before putting them up.  ; )

In my girl's room I have white (sheet) curtains under deep red (sheet) curtains. I do this so:

1) It isn't as obvious from outside the house that it is a girl's room (because who wants to give an invitation into their little girl's room by hanging a pink curtain/sheet...?)

2) So you don't have multiple colors of curtains visible all over the outside of your house. Can we say patchwork?

3) Having the white underneath allows for privacy and light during the day, but closing the deep red during daytime naps or bedtime during the summer allows for the room to be darker. (Love that!)

I leave all of my sheets solid colored.
You can dye a white sheet if you can't find the right color. See Rit's Color Chart to find your color.

 I needed a soft pink for my daughter's room (Walmart didn't have a soft pink at the time) when she was born and so used Rit dye to make it pink. It was perfect...until she didn't sleep when it was light. So I changed the color to deep red. Yes. Lovely.

You could even go further and fabric paint a curtain to be the same pattern as a pattern already in your decor such as a floral stencil pattern around the room - the pattern doesn't have to stop at the curtains.

Screen printing.

Tie-dye.

Fabric printing.

Embroidery done by you....oooh, that sounds tempting, but daunting. I would never get it done.


Sew or fabric glue ribbon or lace on edges and/or over seams to personalize it.
Pom Pom fringe.
Sew or fabric glue a fringe on.

This list could go on and on...buttons is the last thing I will say on that.

You make it what you want it to be.
Simple or personalized.
Difficult and personalized.

It is your sheet/curtain. Have fun!
Don't let the run of the mill curtain companies decide what floral weave they are going to cover your window with. What fringe they are going to put on. What colors they will make it available in.

I have 2 sets of PURCHASED curtains. I used one set for a bit, then dyed it and used it for a short time until I decided to change to sheets.
The other is a beautiful satin burgundy color with beautiful roses embroidered on them with bead fringe. Oh, it is beautiful. I had a place to put it, but now, 2 years after purchasing it, I still have not put it up. It matched my room for about 5 seconds. Roses to no roses happened really fast.


For anyone looking at selling your home:
You usually have to leave whatever window treatments were there when the house went on the market. Say you have grandma's antique fabric that was sewn into curtains and you don't want to part...
Ok. That probably isn't very likely to be, but in case you are attached to your curtains and hopeful they will fit into your next home(s), replace them with sheets before you show the house. If done, it should add a neutral look to a room and without the print on the curtains, it won't distract from the home. Plus you won't lose your favorite curtains.

Have fun all and enjoy this post!

And as always I find out that others are just as smart and crazy as I am ; )
I found others out there that are just as simple or more involved than just cutting out a small square.

Creatively,
Jenn (Mom of 5)

2 comments:

  1. Another reason you want (need) that steamer you posted on your fb about ... steam those wrinkles out of your curtains ... and they can still be hanging while you do it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes! That would be an excellent use for the steamer I mentioned on fb. In case you didn't get what I wanted the steamer for, cakes, fondant and gum paste. Yes, sugar loves steam. I can definitely add the curtains to the justification of purchasing a steamer...lol

      Delete