Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Design a Room

Sometimes a room just needs to be rearranged.
Many times we feel like tackling it will be daunting.

I know I am not the first to do this, because I remember arranging rooms in my interior design class clear back in high school. 

First things first. 

Measure your space. 

Measure your furniture and any items you want in your space/room. 

Make sure that you make room for items that increase or decrease in size as they get taller.

If you need, you can color the space over the heater vents, walkways from the door, closet, etc to make sure you can see (without forgetting) where you CAN'T put furniture.

I did this with our living room a year ago and tried to plant a piece of furniture right in front of the front door. Brilliant!

I think there are online programs that allow for this pre-arranging. I don't know if they are free or cost $. This is what you may use and it is nearly free!

You can purchase a package of graph paper for under $5, in fact it is probably even under $3.
You only need one sheet...ok, maybe 2 or 3, but not the entire package.
 Pencil or Pen. Colored markers, crayons or pencils.
Tape or sticky stuff if desired.

I have each graph square = 6 real inches squared.

Draw your space.

Draw your furniture. Remember to make sure your scale for the furniture is the same as the scale for the space! 

I like to color them in so they contrast against the space. 

Cut them out and arrange on graph to your heart's content.

I usually use my camera phone or camera and take snapshots of the arrangements I like. 
I can then go through them later and decide which one I want for sure before I tear the room apart. 

I would recommend little pieces of something sticky that can be peeled up and moved. If you get the slightest breeze it can knock an item off your grid.

Have fun!
Space Savvy Mom...? 
Ha Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment