Sunday, September 2, 2012

Subzero Chillabrator (Grinch)

My freezers are luckily running, but they are running out of room it seems!
I mentioned the other day that in order to know what you have available you can complete an inventory.
I found this difficult to do as my freezers were full and very disorganized.  
On the surface it doesn't look too bad, right? I have no idea what carnage lies in this subzero tomb.

 A long time ago, I remember my mom using old milk crates in the freezer. I did it after I 
married, but for some reason didn't have any for a long time.
Right now at Walmart (and I am sure at many other stores) there are organization crates for just under $4.
I bought 6. I didn't measure, but you can, to see how many will fit best in your freezer(s).
You can also look on craigslist or other site (we have KSL.com) that sells used items.
Unfortunately I could not find any used.
I began by putting all meat in one basket. In the tragic event of the power going out for hours at a time, I put the meat on the bottom, this way you don't have any potential meat juice leaking onto your fruit, bread, veggies, etc. YUCK! Granted, if it is thawed, you may not want to eat some, but if you can salvage it and it still is within the safety guidelines, you don't want to toss it. If you have blood all over your bread, you're not going to want to save the bread.
Sorry, OCD a bit.
 I got all my baskets full, then realized I had this bucket of ice cream to put away. I don't know about you, but wasting almost 2 1/2 gallons of mint chocolate chip ice cream is a sin. I luckily got it to fit beside the basket on the bottom of the freezer. Yay!

 I then put my vegetable basket on top. I have a few odds and ends that will get moved to our other freezer.
I used to have all the meat (only meat) in the small freezer and all bread, veggies, fruit, etc in the larger freezer. I will be doing that later, but with everything being in baskets, it will make it a lot easier to do.

 This is the outside freezer. I was able to fit 4 crates in there. I found that I have a lot of those big bags of shredded cheese. We use a lot, so I am not worried about it, I just have to remember (inventory) to not buy any more for a while. We also found that I have a lot of strawberries. I make a really yummy strawberry jam, so again, I am not worried, just aware of how many I have.
In the space between the baskets and sides of freezer I put the cheese or bigger items.
 I have baskets in this freezer for:
Meat
Fruit
Vegetables 
Bread
The cheese, freezer jam and extra bread products were put on top and to the sides.

Now, Go catch YOUR subzero chillabrator!

Til Next time,
"Mom"

No comments:

Post a Comment